Thursday, March 6, 2008

Driving on Campus

Lasell is a small campus. Despite our compactness, I frequently observe students driving from their residence halls to the dining hall or to class. I had to check this out further so I loaded up mapmyrun.com. Based on my quick estimate, the furthest any student has to walk to get to the dining hall is less than a third of a mile. Most live much closer.

Why do I bring up this point? It is exactly trips like these that need to stop. About 40% of all trips by automobile in America are under 2 miles. These are trips that could be done by walking or riding a bike. To the individual, it doesn't seem like a big deal. After all, it is only a third of a mile. However, when 100's of millions of Americans make this decision every day, it adds up.

Enjoy the campus and walk to dinner!

No comments: