Monday, May 19, 2008

A Pledge for Graduates

Yesterday, Lasell College celebrated its 154th commencement ceremony. I should point out that Wellesley was only celebrating its 130th commencement, Boston College its 132nd, and Boston University its 135th. They have so much to learn from us.

Our invited speakers and President Alexander had very wise words for our graduating students. As I listened to the words of encouragement and advice, I realized one element was missing from this beautiful day. There was little mention or encouragement for graduates to live a green and sustainable life. I then realized I should have organized an environmental pledge campaign. The pledge comes from an organization called the Graduation Pledge Alliance. The pledge reads:

I pledge to explore and take into account the social and environmental consequences of any job I consider and will try to improve these aspects of any organizations for which I work.

The program now has over 100 colleges and universities that participate in the pledge program. Next year Lasell College will be one of them. Typically, organizers give pledge signers a green ribbon to wear at commencement. Some colleges incorporate the pledge into the program and will even designate who has signed the pledge. Next year, I will enlist the help of Environmental Studies students to coordinate a campaign to encourage graduates at Lasell to sign the pledge.

For now, I will wish our graduating students the best of luck and encourage them to live it green!

No comments: