Tuesday, April 22, 2008

A Picture in Blue

I was a proud parent this morning. It wasn't because my son took his first steps or finally said Dad while looking at me. This morning I was proud because my son was decked out in his blue outfit to celebrate Earth Day and signal his opposition to new coal-fired power plants. That's right, at 10 months my son is already an activist. He is joining millions of others today in wearing blue as part of an ambitious program to move Congress to put a moratorium on all new coal-fired power plants. The program goes beyond just wearing blue. While my son can't, you should dial Congress at 202.224.3121 and demand a moratorium on coal. Halting coal will slow global warming and improve our air quality.

I hope to see students all over the Lasell College campus today wearing blue. I've invited students, faculty, and staff to join me in the new Environmental Studies Classroom. We will gather to have some treats and celebrate Earth Day. Most importantly, we will collectively call Congress and ask for a moratorium on coal.

As Democratic candidates rely on key votes from coal producing states such as Pennsylvania, Illinois, and West Virginia, it is clear these candidates cannot be counted on to halt coal. The rest of Washington has to get the message and millions of phone calls today may make a big impression. Please join this cause today and call your representatives.

No comments: